St Peter’s Church has occupied its site in the middle of Harrogate for over 150 years. Built in the neo-Gothic, high Victorian style, it was originally established to serve the needs of the growing population and the increasing number of visitors to the town. The church’s foundation stone was laid in April 1870 and the subsequent building of the church was carried out in stages as funds became available. The new church was consecrated in October 1876, although the tower was not finished until 1926.
Inside there is much to see, including: eight stone carvings of heads in the nave, representing Archbishops of York and Canterbury; a collection of beautiful painted glass windows; the oak altar rail by Robert “Mouseman” Thompson and a fine four-manual organ.
A small illustrated booklet – A Short Guide – has recently been produced, which provides detailed information about the history and features of the church, together with a useful numbered map.
Copies cost £2.00 each. They can be obtained from one of the Welcomers in the Church or from the Parish Office.
If you wish to have a copy (or copies) posted, please contact Carole Raw, Parish Administrator, tel: 01423 568218 or 07425 161425
or email: email@example.com
A small charge for post and packing will be added.